Vim - the ubiquitous text editor
Vim is a highly configurable text editor built to make creating and
changing any kind of text very efficient.
It is included as "vi" with most UNIX systems and with Apple OS X.
Vim is rock stable and is continuously being developed to become even better.
Among its features are:
- persistent, multi-level undo tree
- extensive plugin system
- support for hundreds of programming languages and file formats
- powerful search and replace
- integrates with many tools
is the current version
old but still useful videos
Not much news has appeared here for a while, so let's dig up some old stuff!
The talk about Vim's 25th birthday can be found here. It gives a nice overview of how Vim became what it is now.
A much older talk, but about stuff that never gets old is 7 Habits For Effective Text Editing. Anybody who spends more than an hour a day editing text should watch it.
I recently discovered a University lecture about Vim here. It's amazing how many Vim tutorials can be found on Youtube. (Bram Moolenaar)
Vim 8.2 is released
More than a year after 8.1 and 2424 patches: Here is 8.2!
You can read the announcement on this page.
Main new feature is support for Popup windows.
To show it off a silly game was created.
Happy Vimming! (Bram Moolenaar)
VimConf 2019 Videos and Photos available
VimConf 2019 was held successfully in Tokyo. Big thanks to the organizers!
Videos can now be found on Youtube.
Photos can be found on the VimConf website
Vim: The power tool for everyone!
See pictures of Bram's latest visit to Uganda on
Read the visit report on the ICCF website.
| Recent Script Updates
|| 5,751 scripts, 15,608,250 downloads
|| jcallers.vim : grep calls to function under the cursor
||(200804) using script and function scoped variables properly
removing unnecessary folding directives
changing some comments and presentation details
- ivan wellesz
|| Mark : Highlight several words in different colors simultaneously. (#1238 continued)
||(3.1.1) - Compatibility: After Vim 8.1.1241, a :range outside the number of buffers (e.g. :99Mark[Name]) causes an error.
- ENH: Add (GUI-only) additional palettes "soft" and "softer" that are variants of "extended" with less saturation / higher brightness of background colors (for when the default colors are too distracting).
- ENH: Marks that cover multiple lines (created through a visual selection or... - Ingo Karkat
|| ingo-library : Vimscript library of common functions.
||(1.042) - BUG: ingo#join#Lines() inserts the separator before the line's last character when joining with a following empty line and ! a:isKeepSpace.
- Support List of precisions in ingo#units#Format() and default to not showing a fraction for bytes in ingo#units#FormatBytesDecimal() and ingo#units#FormatBytesBinary() (as there are no fractional bytes).
- Add ingo#regexp#collection#LargeRange().
- Add ... - Ingo Karkat
|| edge : Clean & Elegant Color Scheme inspired by Atom One and Material
- Optimize `Yggdroot/indentLine`.
- Add hi groups for `iCursor` and `vCursor`.
- Add hi groups for builtin lsp and checkhealth.
- Optimize Airline.
- Optimize `cohama/agit.vim`.
- Add `ToolbarLine` and `ToolbarButton`.
- Adjust red in the light variant.
- Adjust `Search` and `IncSearch`.
- Adjust syntax highlighting logic.
- Adjust `NonText`, `Whitespace` and `Specia... - Sainnhe Park
|| AmbiCompletion : Ambiguous completion
||(2.0a5) faster - Shuhei Kubota
|more recent |
most downloaded |
The tips are located on the
Vim Tips wiki.
This is a platform to exchange tips and tricks from and for Vim users.
| Vim Tips